Course syllabus OPT136C - Optimization Methods (VŠPP - Sklad)
|Course title in Czech:||Optimization Methods|
|Course title in English:||Optimization Methods|
|Mode of completion and number of credits:||Exam (6 credits)|
|Mode of delivery:||full-time, 2/2 (hours of lectures per week / hours of seminars per week)|
part-time, 8/0 (lectures per period / seminars per period)
|Language of instruction:||Czech|
|Course supervisor:||RNDr. Michal Bejček, Ph.D.|
|Name of lecturer:||RNDr. Michal Bejček, Ph.D. (supervisor)|
|The course covers theoretical tools for problem analysis and solving, mainly in the context of economic sciences. Students will become familiar with those aspects of Mathematics that are useful in dealing with important optimisation problems. The course develops the student's ability to reason logically and to correctly analyse and grasp the essence of practical issues. Emphasis is laid on understanding and on practical applications.|
|Expert knowledge; you should be able to:|
- solve a system of linear equations using matrices and determinants,
- solve a system of linear inequalities graphically and explain its use in linear programming,
- describe the way of finding local extrema (also constraint extrema) of a function of two variables.
Expert skills; you should be able to:
- use the rank of a matrix to determine vector dependence or independence,
- solve a system of multiple equations with multiple unknowns using matrices,
- find local extrema (also constraint extrema) of a function of two variables.
General competences; you should be able to:
- understand and appreciate the importance of Mathematics in everyday life,
- show how to implement the acquired aspects of Mathematics in your own field of study.
|No preliminary courses precede this course in the curriculum.|
This course assumes basic skills in high school Mathematics.
|Learning activities and teaching methods:|
|Revise regularly using relevant lecture notes and the recommended materials. Complete assignments conscientiously and, if needed, request an appointment with the lecturer. Try to deal with the problems considered during the lectures and tutorials on your own as a homework assignment. Mastering basic definitions, equations, and algorithms is essential.|
|Rámcové podmínky zápočtu:|
|The pass mark for the final test is 50%.|
|Rámcové podmínky zkoušky:|
|The examination is oral and covers the following: The examination is oral and covers the following: - Basic vectors, vector space and its base. - Matrix addition and multiplication. Rank of a matrix. - Solving systems of linear equations using martices, number of solutions. - Determinants, Cramer's rule. - Solving systems of linear inequalities graphically. - Functions of two variables, local extrema. - Constraint local extrema, substitution methods, Lagrange's method. - Basic graph theory.|
Last modification made by Lucie Ptáčková, DiS. on 04/24/2019.